There are, unfortunately, a great deal more floods and natural disasters hitting many parts of the world that leave people with homes damaged by water. It’s also true that, much of the time, those same people are the ones who have to clean up the water damage. Here are a few things to remember if a person is in the position where they have to clean up without professional help:
First, wear the proper equipment before going into a home where dangerous mold may be present. They can be especially damaging to a person’s lungs, so a proper N-95 respirator should be worn at all times to ensure this doesn’t happen. Molds can be dangerous to other parts of the body as well, though, so protective goggles and gloves should also be worn. Be aware that these precautions might seem like a hassle but they are advised because of just how dangerous some molds are.
Keep in mind that bleach and other cleaners are also toxic and proper ventilation should be used to prevent any buildup of gases in the air. When it comes to the question of whether or not bleach can be used on mold, the answer is basically, yes. One should, however, never mix bleach with any other chemicals or cleaners. Doing so can result in toxic gases that can seriously harm, or even kill, a person.
Before bleach can be used on a wall, it has to be cleaned of any other dirt first. This can be mud or any other debris on the walls. Any cleaning product that is used on the wall won’t work if the wall is still dirty. Once the wall is clear, then a solution of bleach can be used. Bleach can be an effective way of removing mold because it not only cleans walls and ceilings but it also a sterilizer. In other words, it will kill the mold in places where it is used. Do not use pure bleach, though. A mixture of one cup per gallon of water is sufficient.
For other surfaces, however, like wood or stone, one can use soapy water and a bristle brush to break up dirt and mold on the surface. The most important thing to remember is to do a thorough job of cleaning all surfaces. If mold isn’t neutralized everywhere, it can come back to haunt the owners by causing them long-term health issues.
Once the home is clean of mold, it’s best to prevent its return by drying out surfaces as quickly as possible. Fans and dehumidifiers are usually a person’s best bet in accomplishing this within a short period of time.
After having cleaned a home thoroughly of molds, there is one more step that should be kept in mind. The ventilation and heating system in the house may have become affected, so it’s a good idea to have a mold remediation expert come in and clean up any mold that might be in the system before it’s turned on.